Sunday, April 20, 2014

Of Lost and Future Loves

I often find myself contemplating how two people, who one pledged their undying devotion and love to one another, can find themselves suddenly strangers, sometimes while within the walls of their own home.

Having two ex wives to my credit, or discredit, I am no stranger to the hurt and disappointment that comes along with having lost a love.  Certainly there is some acceptance that it was for the best and I feel I am a better man for having known them.  Still, I consider all of the little steps that happened between the happy "I do's" and the decision to split.

I discovered then, and today, that people do not leave your life if they really want to be with you.  It hurts, it makes you feel inadequate and yet it is preferable to living a life of pretending.

I have had this bad habit in recent years of not always putting things back in the garage after I have used them outside.  A host of mowers, tools, rakes, thatchers, trimmers, sports equipment and the like make it near the garage, but never quite inside.  As a result, they fall victim to the elements, the rain and snow eventually take their toll.  I work hard for my money and all of those things were no small investment. One rainfall probably wouldn't have much adverse effect, but leave things out through  a long winter, and rain and snow eventually ruin the strongest of metal.

How similar is love?  Not taking care of it through one rainfall may not cause much damage, but not taking measures to protect it from outside forces will eventually cost you that which you once valued above all else.

I still believe in love, that there is magic in the right relationship, and that one couple is stronger than two individuals.  I believe that true love means a union that forsakes all others, and is built on a foundation of trust and respect.  If I ever find that person who feels similarly for me, this time I'll know enough to bring her in out of the rain.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You made me cry! I could not have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading what you write, Daren! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete