Sunday, April 27, 2014

What Is The Point Anyway?

I saw an old high school friend today. Well, she isn't old. Let's say a longtime friend. She still looks like she did in school. When she gave me a hug goodbye, she encouraged me to keep writing this blog and suggested that it could be important to some people. While I don't consider my ramblings as anything particularly noteworthy, the reaction has been very favorable.

I admit to having concerns that if I write in some kind of chronological order, the initial posts will be very depressing and sad. I currently find myself on that other side of a very dark period in my life, something of a refiner's fire. I now allow happiness to leak into my life on occasion and hope to embrace it fully. I have learned that many sad people do not feel worthy of happiness even though it is readily available to them.

This blog is about loss, but also about abundance. This blog is about debilitating sorrow and unparalleled joy. It is about guilt, shame, forgiveness and letting go. It is about fear, regret and peace.

It is about one man's journey and the lessons learned along the way. It is a written account of my path to becoming the person I have always wanted to be. It is about my mistakes and my triumphs.  It is about the people who presented themselves in my life with the express purpose to share a lesson with me.

The blog is about the people who come and go from my life, those who have been endlessly encouraging, as well as those who have found me a shameless attention seeker.

Some people bless your life when they enter it, others by leaving. I hope to be nothing more than a good father, a good son, a good brother and friend. At times, I have been none of those.  To my amazement, I have discovered that when I wake up tomorrow, it will be a new day filled with hope and the chance to be a better man.

Through this blog, I hope to share my attempts to trade my ego for enlightenment, my sorrow for joy, and my ignorance for love. Well, that sounded cheesy as hell but it is late.

Please bear with me for my next few postings. They aren't gonna be too full of sunshine and puppy dog tails but I want you to know from whence I came.  Whence? A little Olde English with which to end. Goodnight.

4 comments:

  1. Keep writing you are touching many people who can't express in words the way you do....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daren, never have I needed anything more than your amazing writings! I find humor, sadness, reality, and so much more! Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm suddenly not in a great place right now, but I find your posts, even the sad ones to be uplifting because it affirms that I am not alone in the struggle to get through each day and sometimes that's enough to get through. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life isn't full of all those wonder things, so I appreciate that you are writing truly what life has had in store for you! Each of us is refined, polished, and sometimes left with jaged edges, becuase of our own life trials. Thanks for sharing! Continue to do so! :)

    ReplyDelete